Saturday, August 26, 2006

I'm still alive

I've been keeping myself busy, since coming back from Japan. It's been over three weeks but I've found that I've settled in well. I don't know what people are talking ab out when they talk about reverse culture shock. It's all been good. I can go into the supermarket and eat anything I like!! I can also understand everyone! But who knows the reverse culture may hit soon.
But since I've been backed I've been down to Brighton, London, Colchester, the Westcountry and Bristol. Doing the rounds, catching up with people I haven't seen in two maybe even three years. I forgot that this is the first time that I have lived in England properly since March 2003. Before coming Japan I spent three months out in Botswana.
So there are lots of funny stories to tell people. But that's all they are - funny stories. It's impossible to describe how different my life was out in Japan to how it is now back in England. Really weird. In some ways it feels like I never left, and that Japan was just a very long and strange dream.
This weekend, it's a bank holiday, which means that everyone gets the monday off work as well. So it's a great time to go and see more friends.
On Thursday night went to a club in Bristol. It was a drum and bass club, and the first club I have been to since coming back from Japan. Really weird. The whole place stank of marajuana. It was full of people of all shapes and sizes from all corners of the globe. So utterly different from Japan. There's also the possibility of a fight breaking out if you look at someone the wrong!
Oogly, boogly...

2 Comments:

Blogger Kirsten said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!!! Hope you had a fabulous homestyle celebration.....but nothing could beat the brownies and Toyama fun of the past two years, right??

We wanted to call you last night, but nobody has your new number! Send it and next time there is a group of us we'll give you a call from the land of oiishi mizu!

5:40 PM  
Blogger L and occasionally N said...

ooh! i know that club, its in the meanest part of town just off the main road and opposite a church. good nights to be had there!

i too am failing to feel the reverse culture shock! i'm lovin it lovin it lovin it... the only thing that bothers me is how far behind on the club and music scene i now am! time to catch up methinks...

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home