Monday, January 23, 2006

My little bubble...

Living in Japan does make it difficult to keep abreast of what is going on back home. I'm talking specifically about local events, gossip and general bits of chitter-chatter that you pick up everyday when you are back home.

My own knowledge of my own native pop culture is dwindling. I didn't know that a whale had been found going up the Thames passed the Houses of Parliament until my girlfriend told me on the phone last night. If the BBC news doesn't report it, it's highly likely that I won't hear about it. I don't know who has died in Eastenders, or who was the winner of the newest reality TV show. All the crap that usually fills my head on a day-to-day basis is not there.

Additionally, I am completely out of the loop as to what is going on in Japanese culture (other than the little bits I see on TV and gather from some of my students). I know, for example, that Yon-sama is a guy that lots of women like (or liked at some point) and Hard-Gay is 'so hot right now'. That's about it. It is by no means extensive.

However, sitting in the staff room of Asahi Junior High, I realise that I know absolutely nothing about most of my teachers save for a little bit of information gathered from some pleasantries. If I was in England I would at least know what most of my work colleagues had done over the weekend, who they liked and didn't like in office, and maybe a secret or two.

I can only imagine what is going on back home based on the news reports and my friends. England feels like the strange and exotic land that many of my students imagine it to be. It's a funny old life - it doesn't really feel like being part of any culture.

But it's not necessarily a bad thing. It's quite nice feeling free of any gossip in the teacher's room, not having heard the crazy frog number no.1 single in England and not feeling compelled to turn on a TV to watch the latest Japanese soap. I can read what I like and watch, or download what I like. I don't listen to the radio so I am not exposed to the usual ramblings, adverts and general crap. I don't hear the same songs playing over and over again. I'm sure it also applies to Japanese radio and TV, but the refreshing thing is: I don't understand it.

I am leaving Japan in the summer. I'm sure I will miss this...

2 Comments:

Blogger Kirsten said...

i've been thinking about the same thing lately. i gotta admit..i love not understanding! it's so refreshing!

we are gonna miss you! sniff sniff

9:27 PM  
Blogger Linea said...

do you really hafta go?

bubbles are comfy.

mine is the perfect size.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home